RE: RE: st: Regression: All possible subsets

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: Regression: All possible subsets
Date   Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:52:11 -0000

Raphael:

This thread seems to have been dragging on for a while,
as you tend to provide about one more piece of information in
each post!

I don't know how you intend to use -allpossible- in
conjunction with -postfile-. They are not obviously
compatible. They could be made compatible if you
got into a clone of -allpossible- and rewrote it.
I am not sure if that qualifies as "easy" in your terms.
It is quite [British sense] easy in principle.

Also, as explained in its help, -allpossible-
depends on this being true:

"At least one of eclass() or rclass() must be specified.
eclass() must include one or more names of e-class
results, as would be displayed by -estimates list-
after fitting an individual model.  -rclass()-
must include the name of a program that would execute
without arguments after a model command
and one or more names of r-class results it produces."

So the help already answered your question. As -regress- is e-class,
you must write a program that would produce as an r-class
result Mallow's C.

Now I don't know what Mallow's C is. Perhaps you mean what I
know as C_p, named for Colin Mallows (not Mallow) and Cuthbert Daniel,
although the latter is often not credited. Now C_p is for regression
going to tell you much the same as AIC, as I understand it.
So on these guesses you just need to get at the result of -estat ic-.

As I recall your problem, you have 6 possible predictors.
So your call would look something like this:

allpossible regress mpg  headroom trunk weight length turn displacement,
	eclass(rss r2) rclass(myaic AIC)

where the missing program would like something like this:

program myaic, rclass
	version 9
	estat ic
	tempname foo
	mat `foo' = r(S)
	return scalar AIC = `foo'[1,5]
end

Another way of tackling this is to start with -selectvars- from SSC.

---------------------------- fraser.do
sysuse auto, clear

selectvars headroom trunk weight length turn displacement

local vars `"`r(varlist)'"'

di as txt "Predictors{col 50}R-square    AIC"
di as txt "{hline 64}"
foreach v of local vars {
	qui regress mpg `v'
	di as txt "`v'"   "{col 50}" as res %8.5f e(r2) _c
	qui estat ic
	matrix S = r(S)
	di as res %8.3f S[1,5]
}
-------------------------

ru fraser

will illustrate some technique. This is also adaptable
to work with -postfile- and other -e()- results.

Raphael Fraser

> I was hoping to use -allpossible- and -postfile- to create a dataset
> of e(rss), e(rmse), df_m, Mallow's C, etc. Is there an easy way around
> this?

Nick Cox

> > As others have indicated, I did not write -tryem-.

Raphael Fraser

> > > tryem has no help file. I threw some variables at it and it froze.
> > > Nick?? Are you there?

Robert A Yaffee