RE: st: left censoring in discrete-time duration model

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: left censoring in discrete-time duration model
Date   Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:37:30 -0000

I am not clear about what the event is, nor about how the 'length of
time exposed to the risk of the event' is defined.

If the event is introduction of a website, when did a firm first
become at risk of introducing one?  The later of either the year web
technology became available or the year when the firm itself was
established?

Supposing you know the answer to this second question, then the
problem appears to be one of left truncation rather than left
censoring. (Left truncation is also known as delayed entry.)   The
correct likelihood involves conditioning on the probability of
surviving from t=0 to t at which first observed.

For discrete time survival models (as you appear to have), this is
easy to implement -- e.g. see my website materials -- as long as there
is not unobserved heterogeneity ('frailty'). In this case, the 'easy
estimation' methods for left-truncated data do not work; you have to
write your own program.    [My -hshaz- estimates discrete PH hazard
models with discrete mass point heterogeneity.]

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk
Survival Analysis using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/teaching/degree/stephenj/ec968/
Downloadable papers and software: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje7.html