st: Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:37:35 -0500

From   "Visintainer, Paul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:37:35 -0500
Date   Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:37:59 -0500 (EST)

Does anyone recall a command (similar to xtile or pctile) that creates a
new variable from an existing one, where the cutpoints are specific
percentages of the distribution?  (e.g., three groups created by
breaking the distribution at 37%, 62%, and 100%)

______________________________________
Paul F. Visintainer, PhD
Professor and Chair
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
School of Public Health
New York Medical College
PH: (914) 594-4804
FX: (914) 594-4853
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Daniel Simon
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:15 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: left censoring in discrete-time duration model

Austin - thanks for the response.  In fact, I have done what you
propose.
My point (3) where I said "I drop all observations from 1996 for firms
that
had websites" is actually what you are proposing, because once a firm
has
established a website (transitioned), they are excluded from the
analysis
sample thereafter.  I did not think about that when I wrote the
sentence.
My apologies for not being clear. Thanks again for your response, which
reminded me of what I was actually doing.

Moreover, as Austin says, I would also like to hear whether others also
this is a sensible approach. thanks.

Daniel