Re: st: ram memory: microsoft fix does not work

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ram memory: microsoft fix does not work
Date   Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:30:11 -0500

WinXp is a miserable memory manager, and you should count
yourself lucky to get 1.1gb. I have a 4gb machine with an
Athlon64x2 and the best I have managed is the about same.

Though it's not a satisfying solution, you might try booting
up in Safe Mode, so Xp doesn't load all the background
bloatware, and then running your model. But as the FAQ says,
it's all luck of the draw.

Good luck,
Jeph

Dr. Roberto Mura wrote:
Dear all,
the issue that I am experiencing is that, despite the 3,070 Mega of
Ram memory installed in my PC, the op.sys refuses to give me more
than 1.1Giga (set memory 1195m is the max it allows me).
This is a huge issue as I cannot run the xtabond2 estimations I need
to, since the system runs out of memory:
  xtabond2_mata():  3900  unable to allocate real <tmp>[35360,1049]
                  <istmt>:     -  function returned error

I have already checked the proposed solution in the web, namely:
www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html
and I already downloaded and installed the proposed Microsoft fix:
www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/WindowsXP-KB894472-x86-ENU.exe
This did not produce any effect. I tried with Stata Technical Support
but they were unable to solve this issue.
I also tried to contact Microsoft directly but with little luck.
Please note that I am running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
(build 2600)  on a Compaq Presario SR1639UK with an AMD Athlon 64
Processor 3700. I am using Stata/SE 9.2 for Windows, Born 06 Oct 2006.
Please let me know if there is any more detail I can provide.

Dr. Roberto Mura
Lecturer in Finance
The Manchester Accounting & Finance Group
Manchester Business School
University of Manchester
Crawford House, Oxford Road
Manchester