RE: st: Sample command question

From   "David McClintick" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Sample command question
Date   Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:46:15 -0500

I apologize for not properly explaining what I intend to do. Hopefully
this time I will clear up the confusion.

I have 91 datasets, named 1910 to 2000 in increments of 1. Each dataset
has 1 variable. What I wish to do, is use stata to take a 5 observation
sample from each dataset, without replacement, and then do so 10 times
so that I have 10 random samples of 5 observations from each complete
dataset. Now, I realize that the way I have it set up, Stata would save
the results in 910 different new datasets. This is where things become
more difficult. If possible, I would like the results to be saved in a
single dataset for each original dataset, storing each random sample as
a different variable. So, instead of 910 new datasets, I would have 91
datasets with 10 variables in each dataset, and each variable containing
5 observations.

The code I have now works with respect to creating the samples, it just
needs help on how to save the samples in a more concise form.

forval x =1910/2000 {
local i=1
	while `i' <=10 {
		use `x'