RE: st: JMP: Figure 7 In JMP(93)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: JMP: Figure 7 In JMP(93)
Date   Tue, 24 Oct 2006 17:01:49 +0100

Although a party to this, I can underline it from
another point of view. I will change the name in
this story, just in case it in turn seems insensitive to
the proprietary rights of a third party.

I once wrote a Stata program I will call -foostat-. The
whole thing was something that could be printed on
two pages or so. It was not a big deal, but it
did what it claimed.

I was then contacted by the author of a commercial program
called Foostat, pointing out that his program name
preceded mine, and so on and so forth. He was
very polite about it and did not even mention
the word "lawyer".

My initial reaction was to think that he should not be ridiculous:
who could seriously get confused between my little
program, which was freely available on the internet,
and his shrink-wrapped executable, which did much more?

But there was a simple inequality. He cared much more
about his program name than I cared about mine -- indeed
it appeared to be his business --
and it was a few minutes' work to edit my .ado and .hlp
and make the conflict a matter of history.

This was a few years back and I see that Foostat
is still there. So is my newer -foobarstat-,
although it is not called that, and it is even
less of a big deal than it was.

When I mentioned this to various U.S. friends,
several asked "And what did your lawyers say?".
They seemed quite surprised that I had not thought
of consulting any.