Re: st: wide to long

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: wide to long
Date   Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:34:26 -0400

Hi Alice,

I'm not totally sure of where the message is coming from, but I would ask, what variables are present when you do the -reshape long- ?

If I am not confused, year (in your example) should not exist prior to the reshape. It is created by -reshape long-. I don't see how you would have a year variable in the wide form (as your message suggests); what would it signify?

The variables you should have prior to -reshape wide- ought to be
firmid
totistam1985
totistam1986
totistam1987
(etc. -- other totisam variables)

And that's all (at least, in your example, doing just one measure at a time).

By the way, any other variables not mentioned in the -reshape- command, but which exist in your data, must be (I believe) functionally dependent on firmid. But in your case, there really ought not to be any other variables.

I hope this helps.
--David