RE: st: Files left open in Mata

From   "German Rodriguez" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Files left open in Mata
Date   Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:58:35 -0400

Many thanks to Bill Gould for his prompt and helpful reply regarding files
left open by Mata after an error.

The -closeallfiles- workaround is good enough for me. I had looked for a
closeall command in Mata with no luck. I thought I couldn't use fclose()
because the file handle was local to a function, but now I learned that
handles are small integers and one can loop to close them all. (I take it
Bill's code assumes one hasn't opened more than 51 files. My workaround was
to open another file instead of exiting Stata, but even then I never got as
far as 50 :)

In terms of changes to Mata, I can understand why closing all files on error
might be irritating if you are writing code and opening files interactively,
although I wonder how often mere mortals do that. Bill's alternative
suggestion that -mata clear- should close all open files is excellent; it
seems so natural you'd think it would do that already. Having to reload code
is not an inconvenience at all, it hardly takes any time.

Going off thread for a second, I wonder if anyone mentioned in the SPSS vs.
Stata discussion how often the developers answer questions from users and,
hold on to your chair, say they will wait for user opinions before they do
anything. Priceless!

Germ�n