st: RE: extending fractileplot to allow for interaction among RHS variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: extending fractileplot to allow for interaction among RHS variables
Date   Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:33:01 +0100

I am the author of -fractileplot-. You should
look at the concurrent thread on -mlowess-.

I doubt that you really want -fractileplot-
unless you know that you do. For arbitrary
predictors you want -mrunning-, -mlowess-
or the much more comprehensive -gam-.
Use -search- or failing that -findit- to
search for locations.

You are right that -fractileplot- (and
also -mrunning- and -mlowess-) do not
address the issue of modelling interactions.
That is not their job at all. The user
should come to each command with a list
of variables. It's the user's choice what
those variables should be, and none of these
programs knows or cares how the variables
processed were defined, and whether some
are original variables and some defined
as interactions.

I doubt that the results of any of these
programs will depend on quite what
scales you use to define interactions.

Finally, note that you should not read
too much into the existence of these programs.
Their authors intend them as exploratory
graphics tools, no less and not much more.
In some ways they are not very Stataish at all.
If you are looking for a rich source of modelling tools in this
terrain, S-Plus and R will provide much happier hunting
for you than Stata.

By the way

multivariate, nonparametric, kernel-based smoothing

is one thing and

curve fitting

is another, at least in my book.

[email protected] (reminds me of
"No, Groucho is not my real name.
I'm just breaking it in for a friend.") wrote