Re: st: graph combine

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graph combine
Date   Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:08:50 -0500

With regard to -grc1leg-, Kit Baum <[email protected]> asks,

> [...]  Now we can bug Vince: why isn't this handy feature available
> in - graph combine-? Seems to be an obvious thing to do in a set of
> graphs with common legends.

As I noted in 2003 when -grc1leg- was first posted, we don't want to overload
the syntax of -graph combine- with more options.  The syntax seems daunting
enough as is.

-graph combine-, moreover, is built to combine existing graphs, like one might
arrange pictures on a wall.  It does not reach into those graphs and pluck
pieces from within the graphs to create something more akin to a Picasso.

-grc1leg- has a certain hint of danger that we would not like to see in the
official graph combiner.  What if the graphs don't have a common legend?  Will
we make something that could deceive the reader?

A completely different, and official option, is to rearrange your data so that
each graph's data is stacked in the dataset with a categorical identifier for
each graph.  With the data arranged this way the -by(graphid)- option of
-graph- will array a set of graphs, one for each value of graphid, with a
common legend.  No need to worry that the graphs might have different legends;
they were created with the same command.

-- Vince