Re: st: RE: One Wish

From   "Michael S. Hanson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: One Wish
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:54:32 -0400

On Oct 17, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Neil Shephard wrote:

On 10/17/06, Maarten Buis <[email protected]> wrote:
You're not alone, I would really appreciate such functionality too, but I understand that it is not easy. Imagine the number of symbols that people might want to include, you already mentioned the Greek alphabet, and accents on top of them, add to that all the symbols in bold (for matrices), subscripts and superscripts, and all kinds of operators, and it should work fine on Unix, Mac, and Windows.
I'm not particularly ofay with the technical details, but I believe
UTF-8 is designed to address some of these problems.  More info and
links at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utf-8 (although note the
particular mention of Mac OS X), and there are further extensions to
the system (also detailed).
Let me put in another vote for this request for functionality. Matlab has implemented the ability to use LaTeX code to represent Greek letters, math symbols, etc. It isn't perfect, but it does suggest what is feasible. I also know from first-hand experience that such Matlab code is portable from Mac OS X to various Unix flavors and back. (On this specific point, I have no experience with other OSs.) I cannot speak to the (lack of) ease with which Stata could implement such functionality, but I agree it would be highly desirable.

-- Mike

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/