st: How to generate id numbers when expanding data

From   Dick Campbell <[email protected]>
To   "statalist-hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How to generate id numbers when expanding data
Date   Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:32:31 -0500

For teaching purposes I have created a table of results from an imaginary experiment as shown below.

+----------------------------------+
| wave cond sex n outcome |
|----------------------------------|
1. | 1 1 1 25 50 |
2. | 2 1 1 18 49 |
3. | 3 1 1 15 51 |
4. | 1 2 1 25 50 |
5. | 2 2 1 20 55 |
|----------------------------------|
6. | 3 2 1 19 54 |
7. | 1 3 1 25 50 |
8. | 2 3 1 16 58 |
9. | 3 3 1 14 53 |
10. | 1 1 2 25 50 |
|----------------------------------|
11. | 2 1 2 19 51 |
12. | 3 1 2 17 50 |
13. | 1 2 2 25 50 |
14. | 2 2 2 21 57 |
15. | 3 2 2 20 56 |
|----------------------------------|
16. | 1 3 2 25 50 |
17. | 2 3 2 17 56 |
18. | 3 3 2 15 54 |
+----------------------------------+

The variable labeled "outcome" is a cell mean and I will expand the table by n cases for each cell.
I will subsequently manipulate these data by adding random error to the outcome variable ,
adding covariates etc.

However, when I eventually analyze the data I need a unique id number for each case such that each record has an id
number which stays constant across waves so that I can use XT-series routines.
So, the expanded data set should look like this.

+----------------------------------+
|id wave cond sex outcome |
|----------------------------------|
1. |1 1 1 1 50 |
2. |1 2 1 1 49 |
3. |1 3 1 1 51 |
4. |2 1 1 1 50 |
5. |2 2 1 1 55 |
|----------------------------------|
6. |2 3 1 1 54 |
7. |3 1 1 1 50 |
8. |3 2 1 1 58 |
9. |3 3 1 1 53 |
10. |4 1 1 1 50 |
|----------------------------------|
11. |4 2 1 1 51 |
12. |4 3 1 1 50 |
13. |5 1 1 1 50 |
14. |5 2 1 1 57 |
15. |5 3 1 1 56 |
|----------------------------------|
16. |6 1 1 1 50 |
17. |6 2 1 1 56 |
18. |6 3 1 1 54 |

etc through the 361 records implied by the data. Within
each combination of sex and cond there should be n cases
with an id that stays constant across waves.

I can not seem to figure out how to do this. I would guess that
-expandcl- should accomplish what I want, but I can't figure out
how to set it up. Perhaps there is some other clever solution.
If I were in SAS I would just loop over n with an -output- statement
and retain the counter as an ID. But I am a bit stymied here.

Dick Campbell
Univ. of Illinois at Chicago

*
* For searches and help try: