RE: RE: st: RE: tsset

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: RE: tsset
Date   Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:20:17 +0100

StataCorp developers follow the list. Thus your suggestion
was, or shortly will be, read by many of them.

Now I am not a StataCorp developer, but I don't see that
there is any need for implementing your proposal at all.

The reason is that if you have a composite panel identifier you
can map it to a single one in a single command line using
-egen, group()-. Thus there is no need for a hit on -tsset-
and all sorts of associated commands, to say nothing of the
consequences for help files, manuals, FAQs and so forth. Thus
the user can solve this problem by a simple operation carried out upstream
of -tsset-.

This was already explained in the thread you reply to, although
for brevity I have deleted most of the long email you
copied without editing.

Charles Thibault