Re: st: partner's occupational score when the woman is not married

Subject   Re: st: partner's occupational score when the woman is not married
Date   Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:21:47 -0400

cristina.solera--

Under the most generous assumptions, you can only identify the
"effect" of partner's occupational score for those with partners, i.e.
you can get a coefficient on the interaction married*partneroccscore
but not on the main effect partneroccscore, letting the interaction be
zero whenever someone has no partner (assuming haspartner==married in
this context).  If you include both variables, the "marginal effect"
of moving from married==0 to married==1 will be much trickier to
estimate.  You might prefer a set of indicators {notmarr, poorhusband,
richhusband}, or somesuch (with the excluded category the middle third
of partners' occupational scores, perhaps).

Note further that you would not want to give a causal interpretation
to any of the regressors you mentioned, since there are very good
reasons to suppose that unobserved factors predict each, and also
predict women's risk of exiting paid work.  To be more concrete, a
woman's desire to exit paid work is probably a strong predictor of
marital status, potential partners' occ scores, and risk of exiting
paid work.

So you will not be estimating the effect of marriage, in any case.

Just my 0.016 Euro (poorly translated American idiom).
--Austin