st: RE: new user

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: new user
Date   Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:33:34 +0200

Anamika Barua:
First, I cannot stress strongly enough the value of using
commands in a do-file. Data analysis and especially data
preparation is a process were everybody makes lots of
mistakes. So you will want to know later on what you have
done in the beginning and you'll want to change it. This
is simple if you have a do file, but if haven't used a
do-file you will have to start from scratch again multiple
times during your project.

As part of the set of manuals there is a "Getting started
with Stata", which is a good place to start. After that I
would go to http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/default.htm
and look for the type of analysis I want to use Stata for,
and look and repeat on my own computer the examples there,
apply those examples to my project, and finally extend
those examples to better fit the analysis I really want to
do. These kinds of skills are best learned by doing, and
adapting existing examples is a good way to get started.
HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam