Re: st: linear probability model vs. probit/logit

From   Kenneth Flamm <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: linear probability model vs. probit/logit
Date   Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:23:05 -0500

"Now, some experiments revealed that linprob and logit use the same observations, because for the
observations that are dropped by logit the correlation between the perfect predictor and hat is one,
and variables causing multicollinearity should be dropped by linear regression as well."

Could you explain? Since the linear probability model is not constrained to produce predicted values that lie in the [0,1] range, how can there be a correlation of 1 between the "perfect predictor" and the predicted probability? Your linprob routine must be dropping all observations with predicted probabilities outside the [0,1] range, which is not generally done with LPM models. Is this written up anywhere?

Also, robust standard errors are another means of dealing with the heteroskedasticity problem.