Re: st: Stata plugins for 64-bit machines

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata plugins for 64-bit machines
Date   Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:44:17 -0400

I think the problem is Cygwin gcc; it's only compiled for 32-bit x86
architecture. From this list http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html
you can see that gcc is maintained for win-32 (via Cygwin) but not
win-64. You may have to get the MS C++ compiler, the express version
is free, I think.

Julian Reif wrote:
Hi,

I wrote several Stata plugins for 32-bit Windows 2000 a while ago.  In order to compile them, I downloaded Cygwin with gcc and followed the instructions given on Stata's website (http://www.stata.com/plugins/#5a).  I recently acquired a 64-bit AMD machine.  It is running an updated version of Stata 9.2 on Windows XP but it cannot run my old plugins (I get the error message "plugin failed to load" in Stata).  I was advised to add the flag -m64- to the gcc compile command and recompile the plugins.  Here is an example of my new gcc compile command for a plugin called "renamefile":

	gcc -m64 -shared -mno-cygwin stplugin.c _renamefile.c -o ../../_renamefile.dll

Unfortunately, compiling this command in gcc yields a compilation error:

	stplugin.c:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in

Has anybody here successfully compiled 64-bit Stata plugins for gcc under Cygwin?  What am I missing?  Thanks.

Julian Reif