Re: st: Save results as a data file

From   "Christopher W. Ryan" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Save results as a data file
Date   Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:42:29 -0400

Yes, it would. My mistake.  [And as a perpetual novice, I was so excited
about finally believing I was able to answer a question on Statalist,
not just ask them :) ]

But how about this slight modification.  Perhaps not as elegant as other
solutions posted:

sysuse auto, clear
gen N=_n
collapse (count) N, by (foreign)
list

     +---------------+
     |  foreign    N |
     |---------------|
  1. | Domestic   52 |
  2. |  Foreign   22 |
     +---------------+

save newdatafile.dta

Another example:

sysuse auto, clear
gen N=_n
collapse (count) N, by(mpg)

     +---------+
     | mpg   N |
     |---------|
  1. |  12   2 |
  2. |  14   6 |
  3. |  15   2 |
  4. |  16   4 |
  5. |  17   4 |
     |---------|
  6. |  18   9 |
  7. |  19   8 |
  8. |  20   3 |
  9. |  21   5 |
 10. |  22   5 |
     |---------|
 11. |  23   3 |
 12. |  24   4 |
 13. |  25   5 |
 14. |  26   3 |
 15. |  28   3 |
     |---------|
 16. |  29   1 |
 17. |  30   2 |
 18. |  31   1 |
 19. |  34   1 |
 20. |  35   2 |
 21. |  41   1 |

--Chris

--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]