Re: st: 'Normal' condition number vs GLAMM condition number

Subject   Re: st: 'Normal' condition number vs GLAMM condition number
Date   Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:53:55 -0500

At 08:34 AM 9/1/2006, you wrote:
Dear Stata List,

I have a question about condition numbers. When I calculate the condition
number for my models using the add-on package cndnmb3 I get very acceptable
values between 10 and 15. However, when I run the same models in GLAMM I get
condition numbers between 400 and 600. Are these two different types of
condition numbers and if so what is the acceptable range for each type and
how do these two condition numbers differ? Or is one or the other program
(cndnmb3 or GLAMM) calculating incorrectly the condition number?
I don't know, but if you want a tie-breaker you might try -collin- and -coldiag2-, both of which will compute condition numbers, and, I believe, give you different options for how to do it. It may depend on whether variables are being standardized first.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]