st: bootstrapping mvprobit

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: bootstrapping mvprobit
Date   Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:26:56 +0100

France Weaver asked about bootstrapping predicted probabilities using
-mvppred- following estimation by -mvprobit-, and provided sample
code. (See below.)

Are the "deadnext" and "marrddn" variables in program "marginal"
members of global macros $exog_rhs and $iv1?

The line
	     replace marrddn=married*deadnext
appears redundant since deadnext is set equal to one for all
observations in the preceding line.

Don't you want the lines

	gen deadnext_save=deadnext
      gen marrddn_save=marrddn

outside of the program, so that you retain a master copy of them?  And
then change their values inside the program to calculate predictions
based on changes to 0 and then 1, and then after that, just before the
end of the program, resetting them for the next regression in the
bootstrap loop? You do the last step, but I'm not sure that the rest
of the code is doing what you hope it does.

BTW Ensure that you have the latest versions of -mvprobit- and
-mvppred-, downloadable from the Stata Journal cite (Software Update
associated with vol 6, no. 2).    To speed things up, you may prefer
to use the "handspun" way of estimating MV Probit regressions, and
doing predictions, that is discussed in the article by Lorenzo
Cappellari and myself in the same issue (example code also
downloadable) -- then you can take advantage of a plug-in and speed
things up tremendously.  A pre-print version of the SJ article is
available as an ISER Working Paper (see ISER URL under my signature).

Stephen
[co-author of -mvprobit- and -mvppred-]