st: RE: RE: New package -grexport- on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: New package -grexport- on SSC
Date   Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:33:17 +0100

Absolutely. The whole point about the (originally flippant,
but let that pass) coinage of "resultsset" was that it is
when there are several results in a results set that you need to
consider them together.

If you have just one result of interest, you don't need
the kind of program that Roger has written for resultssets.

If posterity is listening, I note that the spelling
"resultsset" was a conscious play on, and allusion to,
StataCorp's "dataset". Many times I had been corrected by
StataCorp: I would write "data set" somewhere, and they would change it
to "dataset" and invoke their house rule. I used to think this
was arbitrary of them -- especially as the language in question is English,
and so mine and not theirs -- but since I became an
Editor of the Stata Journal I now have to follow company
policy (and have to come to like the word anyway)....

Newson, Roger B

> Thanks to Lars (and to Kit Baum) for this useful resultsset-generating
> program.
>
> For what it's worth, the keyword "resultset" is usually spelt
> "resultsset", or was when Nick Cox coined the word a few
> years ago. The
> Stata search engine used by -findit- doesn't seem to recognise minor
> spelling variations (unlike Google).

Lars E. Kroll