st: Re: RE: Re: diagnostics for the treatreg procedure

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Re: diagnostics for the treatreg procedure
Date   Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:20:42 -0400

Mark,

I checked that -treatreg, two- is not a IV estimator, it is
Heckman-type model. I thought that -treatreg, two-
computed Procedure 18.1 of Wooldridge (2002, p623):
(1) Estimate the binary response by ML, obtain fitted prob
(2) Run the outcome equation using the fitted probabilities
as instruments. This is a IV model, for which a Sargan test
makes more sense.

I agree that a kind of "overidentification" test it would be
easy to do it by ML (basically some LR at the end). But
my concern was that properties of MLE relies on the
assumption of the distribution (normality) for what I
prefer a two-step IV procedure (as Wooldridge).

I tried the exercise below and I saw that IV results are
very similar to Heckman -treatreg, two-, using logit,
probit or cloglog for the second equation. But MLE are
very different.

Maybe, Yang can do this procedureby hand and use your
-ivreg2- instead of my -reg- to compute the Sargan-test.

Rodrigo.

 qui {
 sysuse auto, clear
 replace price=price/1000
 probit foreign weight length mpg
 est store IV11
 predict forp
 logit foreign weight length mpg
 est store IV21
 predict forl
 cloglog foreign weight length mpg
 est store IV31
 predict forc
 reg price mpg foreign (mpg forp)
 est store IV12
 reg price mpg foreign (mpg forl)
 est store IV22
 reg price mpg foreign (mpg forc)
 est store IV32
 treatreg price mpg, treat(foreign = weight length mpg) two
 est store HECK
 treatreg price mpg, treat(foreign = weight length mpg)
 est store MLE
 }

 est table *, se eq(1) b(%6.4f)