Re: st: contrast with probit

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: contrast with probit
Date   Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:55:31 +0100 (BST)

--- Silke Humbert asked:
> I am using probit with linearly dependent explanatory variables
> (i. e. age categories 0-30, 30-50, >50, coded 0,1). If am doing
> the regression with all these explanatory variables Stata
> naturally drops one if these variables.
>
> The problem now is that I don't want the coefficients of the
> regression relative to the variable dropped but rather to the total
> average.

--- Dimitriy V. Masterov answered:
> (1) Omit the constant, so that you can include the full set of
> dummies:
> probit outcome d1 d2 d3, nocons
>
> (2) Use the linear combination command to construct coefficients you
> want:
> probit outcome d2 d3
> lincom _cons+d2

I also thought about that, but the reference to the contrast to the
total average made me think more of effect coding. You can do it
yourself, but Michael Mitchell and Phil Ender wrote -xi3- to do that
for you, see the example below. You'll have to install -xi3- first, by
typing -findit xi3- and follow the instructions from there on.

HTH,
Maarten

*-------begin example-------
sysuse auto, clear