RE: st:Transformation for skewed variables with negative values?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st:Transformation for skewed variables with negative values?
Date   Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:58:43 +0100

Also, partially echoing Jeph Herrin, if everything is negative,
consider reversing signs. Sign is often a convention.

However, I would want really good grounds
for shifting origins, even if the origin were conventional.
That is, if x everywhere is greater than a, then (x - a) is
positive, but if a is just empirically determined, it can be
difficult to interpret (x - a) or to compare results with other
studies.