Re: st: number of missing from previous year

From   "Ada Ma" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: number of missing from previous year
Date   Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:12:24 +0100

bysort firm personid: gen count=_N if year==1993 | year==1994

* Count would equal to 2 if a person is with the same firm for both
1993 and 1994, 1 if this person was only with this firm in 1993 or in
1994.

bysort firm year: egen changed=total(count) if count==1 & year==1993

variable changed would contain the number of employees who were with
this firm in 1993, but no longer remain employed with the same
employer in 1994.  it'd be all missing values for this variable in
1994.