RE: st: scalar question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: scalar question
Date   Fri, 21 Jul 2006 22:26:31 +0100

In addition, there is no reason to use -while- unless
you are using Stata <= 6.

And really is a lot safer to use a tempname, for
reasons recently discussed on the list.

tempname z
scalar `z' = 0
forval i = 1/1000 {
	summarize V`i', meanonly
	scalar `z' = `z' + cond(r(mean) < . ,r(mean),0)
}

or

tempname z
scalar `z' = 0
foreach v of var V* {
	summarize `v', meanonly
	scalar `z' = `z' + cond(r(mean) < . ,r(mean),0)
}

Michael Blasnik

> I don't think this suggested approach will handle missing
> values properly
> since it will treat them as zeros added to the row sums and give no
> indication of a reduced number of observations.
>
> Getting back to the original approach.  I'm not sure if you
> wouldn't be
> better off with a reshape long to get what you want, but if
> you keep with
> the current approach, I would change the middle of the loop to :
>
> summarize V`i', meanonly
> scalar average_V`i'= r(mean)
> scalar z= z + cond( average_V`i'<. , average_V`i',0)
>
> The cond() function will avoid adding a missing value into
> your sum (but it
> will replace it with 0).  You may want to count how many
> missing values you
> end up with (in another scalar counter).  I also added the
> meanonly topion
> to the summarize command to make it faster

Radu Ban

> > you can try the -egen rsum- command and then take the mean,
> as the sum
> > of means is equal to mean of sums. for example:
> >
> > egen rowsum = rsum(V*)
> > summarize rowsum
> > scalar z = r(mean)
> > drop rowsum