Re: st: Extending Venn Diagrams with "proportional graph areas"

From   "David Elliott" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Extending Venn Diagrams with "proportional graph areas"
Date   Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:36:41 -0300

Welcome to Statlist, Jens.  We corresponded some years ago about your
vennerable Venn program regarding the same question - how to make the
circles proportional and the overlaps reflecting the true intersected
areas.  (We also corresponded later on early iterations of the
excellent EpiData project that you have lead ( http://www.epidata.dk/
))

At that time I pointed out that my partner and I had developed a
method that did the trick for a paper we were working on, but in the
end it required using an approximation with numerical analysis.  I
never did find a way to simultaneously calculate the relative location
of the circle centres such that the area of the intersections is
exact.  I should note, also, that when one of the sets approaches
100%, that a rectangular universe will not work, and that one should
actually start with a circular universe to be able to handle all
two-way and three-way sets.

DCE