RE: st: quotation mark format change causes invalid syntax error

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: quotation mark format change causes invalid syntax error
Date   Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:00:38 +0100

Blame it on (a) Americans in general and (b) Bill Gates as a confounding factor.

What you have probably fallen foul of is "smart quotes", where the word processor substitutes distinct open and close quote marks when the quote is preceded/followed by a space.  Unfortunately, because of short-sighted (a), Ascii only has one quote mark, so (b) used 8-bit coding to get round this and other inconveniences of people WHO DON'T SPEAK AMERICAN.

If you edit DO files with a word processor, save them explicitly as "text only" and ignore the warning that features will be lost.  They are presumably the features that stop it working.

Americans now, those from Texas in particular, are much more sympathetic to those who use other languages.

Allan

Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:22:25 -0700
From: "Seligman, Hilary" <[email protected]>
Subject: st: quotation mark format change causes invalid syntax error

I have come across a very basic problem I am unable to solve.  I have a
long do-file labeling all my variables.  In the middle of the file, the
way the quotation mark looks on the screen changes for some reason (it
looks like the quotation marks are a different font, although the font
of the letters are actually the same).  This happens in the middle of a
line.  Here is the line where the change begins:

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.