Re: st: import SPSS files

From   Dick Campbell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: import SPSS files
Date   Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:44:53 -0500

At 06:07 PM 7/4/2006 Tuesday, you wrote:
Peggy Chrisman wrote:

> I have received several SPSS files. I do not have SPSS nor do I have the
> Stata file transfer program. I tried following the suggestions from the
> help file using infile, insheet, etc, but have not been able to transfer
> the files into Stata thus far. There must be a way to import these
> files, but I can't seem to do it. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

This may be a bit trickier that previous posts have indicated
 Without having SPSS, I don't know of a way to get these files
into CSV format. However, if you have SAS, you can read the data in
either native format (.sav) or portable format (.por) SPSS files
using the SPSS engine. SAS will then allow you to save them as SAS files.
From there, you can use Dan Blanchette's -usesas- routine to import the SAS file
into Stata. However, I don't know of a way to read SPSS files, either in
native or portable format into Stata directly, nor do I know of a way to get
them into .csv format without going through SPSS.

Richard T. Campbell
Professor
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
School of Public Health &
Institute for Health Research and Policy
University of Illinois at Chicago

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/