RE: st: RE: prvalue / dummy variables

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: prvalue / dummy variables
Date   Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:26:09 +0200

In order to get probabilities, you will always have to specify values for all variables in your model. This is not some weird thing of -prgen- or Stata, it is a basic characteristic of a multinomial logit model (and other models like logit, probit, poisson, and more). Closest thing to what you want is setting the other variables at their mean, but be prepared for some criticism. I'd guess that Scott Long, Regression models for categorical dependent variables using Stata, Stata Press has a nice discussion of why that is, but I can't check right now since all my books are in boxes (I am moving office sometime soon).

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam