Re: st: some unexplained issues with coefficient comparisons

From   "Narasimhan Sowmyanarayanan" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: some unexplained issues with coefficient comparisons
Date   Tue, 4 Jul 2006 12:15:39 -0400

Hi all:

I just noticed something in my regressions. Not sure if it is a
problem with what I am trying to do or if this is expectes. I ran an
OLS of the mean centered variables by each case in a panel data and
then a fixed effect regression (xtreg), fe. I find that the estimates
are a bit differet (though not by a big margin). How can such a thing
happen. I checed that the number of observations in both regressions
is exactly the same.

Another detail issue is concerning mean centering if we want to run a
regression with a lag variable. Should one mean center and then lag to
create the mean centered lag variable, rather than create a lag
variable first and then mean center. how is this implemented in stata
?

Thanks

On 6/30/06, Narasimhan Sowmyanarayanan