Re: st: recast question

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: recast question
Date   Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:43:47 +0800

On 6/22/06, buddyb <[email protected]> wrote:
Hmmm...I'm using Ver 8.  I'm checking the user's guide
and believe you are right...I'm limited to 80 (I have
Intercooled Stata)....anyone have any work-arounds on
this??
If the limit is 80 then thats it, your stuck with it.

The obvious workaround would be to upgrade to Stata9 and take
advantage of not only the larger limits, but all the other new
featrues.

One option may be to -encode- your variables and then apply labels to
them since (under Stata 9 at least) the maximum length of a value
label string is a lot longer.  You'd need to ensure that the
truncation to eighty characters leaves each as unique though to ensure
that you don't mess your data up end incorreclty encode your data.

See -man limits- and -man label- for details.

Neil
--
"My Karma ran over your dogma." - Unknown

(www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html)

Email - [email protected] / [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/