Re: st: RE: statistical question: best summary measure for a 5-pointLikert scale

From   "Christopher W. Ryan" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: statistical question: best summary measure for a 5-pointLikert scale
Date   Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:23:11 -0400

> Also, if the real
>> need is some sort of ranking, the median
>> is far too coarse.

That's the crux of the matter.  And it's where the statistics leaves off
and the pedagogy and philosophy kicks in.  Is there a real need for
ranking?  Using the mean leads to a very fine-grained sorting of
students into a lot of bins, each containing only one or two students.
Two students end up with a 3.76, and the next-lower student ends up with
a 3.73.  I doubt there is any substantial difference in doctoring
abilities between those three students.  But they would have different
class rankings, and they might very well be given different final letter
grades.

I'm trying to make the case that the mean is far too fine.  If our
fundamental tool for observing and evaluating allows faculty to classify
students into 5 categories: lousy, fair, decent, very good, and great,
then shouldn't the final categorization, summarizing all the
observations, also categorize them into roughly the same number of bins?
 That would yield few categories, with lot's of students in each.  That
makes sense to me.  Instead, what we get are a lot of categories, each
containing only 1-2 students.

If you give a hundred people a ruler with the inch as the smallest
marked unit, and ask them all to measure a certain line, is it sensible
to then calculate the mean of all their measures and conclude that it is
8.62 inches?

All very difficult issues.  Someone once likened grading medical
students to "trying to distinguish shades of ultraviolet."  Appreciate
your insights.

--Chris
--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]