st: Re: understanding the difference between gen and egen

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: understanding the difference between gen and egen
Date   Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:35:01 -0400

Dick is caught by a historical issue here. Prior to Stata 9, you could say

gen foo = sum(bar)
egen foo = sum(bar)

which was indeed confusing, given that the gen produced a RUNNING sum and the egen produced a total. Wisely, Stata's developers renamed the egen function to total().

With respect to the wide array of non-official Stata capabilities (for the accessibility of which I am somewhat responsible) the Stata command findit will locate anything that is in the Stata Journal, Stata Technical Bulletin, or the SSC Archive which I maintain. Anything you find in the SSC Archive can be described with the ssc command, and installed likewise. Bill Gould's new official "adoupdate" command makes it as easy to keep user-installed stuff up to date as official Stata components. So yes, Stata is more confusing that a program fully described by a printed manual. Even official Stata is not fully documented by the version 9 manuals, given significant additions since 9.0. But "help whatsnew" and "help forthcoming" will assist with that.

Official Stata is a very dynamic organism, with significant enhancements during the life of a major version. When the user- written components made available through the Stata Journal and SSC Archive are taken into account, you literally have to check daily for what has been newly developed if you want to be fully au courant. (I added a number of new routines this week that had been in a backlog during my absence; "ssc whatsnew" will show them, with links to their descriptions). Admittedly this can be confusing; but it is also one of Stata's great virtues and comparative advantages over many alternative statistical languages.

PS> Confronted with 6 feet + of manuals on a shelf for Some Alternative Software, some users are comforted?

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html