RE: st: Standard error of a sum

From   "Meloria Meschi" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Standard error of a sum
Date   Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:50:22 +0200

Well summarize gives me mean, standard deviation, the usual stuff.  ci gives the confidence interval around the mean, with the se calculated in the usual way, ie sdev/sqrt(n).

If the sum is say, 1000 and the mean is 50 - I can't surely use the standard error of the mean to construct a confidence interval for the sum.  And also the stdev should refer to the mean - population mean, rather than sample mean.  So how do I get the SE of the sum?

My version of stata does not allow the display option by the way.

Meloria Meschi

________________________________

From: [email protected] on behalf of Clive Nicholas
Sent: Tue 13/6/06 21:53
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Standard error of a sum

Meloria Meschi wrote:

> I have a silly problem that's driving me nuts.  I have estimated two
> production function, with AR(1) correction.  I got 7 point forecasts each
> and their standard errors (call each forecast series x1 and x2).  I have
> computed the confidence intervals for each of these forecasts.
>
> Then I have added the two forecasts into one series y=x1 + x2 and produced
> s.e. and confidence intervals for this series as well.  What I need now is
> a confidence interval for the sum of y (ie total production from the two
> sites).  How do I compute the standard error for this total? And does it
> actually make sense to do so?

What does

. summarize y, display

tell you? I'm assuming these functions are continuous, valid measurements
which have no bounds. If so, calculating standard errors should pose no
difficulties. But only _you_ can answer that question!

You're politely reminded not to send attachments to the list.

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(044)7903 397793
Politics              |e: [email protected]
Newcastle University  |http://www.ncl.ac.uk/geps

Whereever you go and whatever you do, just remember this. No matter how
many like you, admire you, love you or adore you, the number of people
turning up to your funeral will be largely determined by local weather
conditions.

<<winmail.dat>>