Re: st: Two wishes

From   "Ada Ma" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Two wishes
Date   Tue, 23 May 2006 11:42:41 +0100

Hi Neil,

Since you understand the OS issue regarding the use of HD as RAM,
could you explain this to me??

I have a almost 4 yr old computer with 1GB RAM on it.  It's running
Windows XP and it would allow me to set mem 900m even though I think
it is not physically possible.  It used to have Windows 98 SE on it
and then I couldn't set mem more than 700m, and it struggled even when
it was doing 700m with lots of reboot, etc.

Then I have two newer Windows XP computers which wouldn't swap.  One
is a laptop with 1GB RAM, I can only set mem 900m when I have shut
down almost everything that can possibly be shut down.  And 900m is
the max I can do.  Another is a oldish desktop (may be 2 yr old)
physically it has 3GB RAM and I can only set mem 1200m tops.

It is the oldest computer amongst the 3 I've got that can do the
swapping, is there anything I can do to the two new ones to get them
to swap too?

Many thanks.

Ada

On 5/23/06, Neil Shephard <[email protected]> wrote:
On 5/23/06, SamL <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've checked with top before.  It's RAM for me.  I didn't know stata did
> that.  How do I get it to do it, or does it do it automatically?

Stata doesn't do it, its a feature of the operating system. *NIX
systems have a portion of the hard-drive partioned as 'swap' space
which will be used as memory if RAM is maxed out.  Windows does
something similar as well.

Neil