Re: st: -timer-

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -timer-
Date   Wed, 17 May 2006 09:00:20 -0700 (PDT)

I am very glad to know this is now available.  In the old days, when I
used a VAX machine and submitted jobs to a queue, I had to estimate how
long the job would take so I could send the job to the appropriate queue
(mis-estimations would make the job crash in the middle if I sent a long
job to a short queue).  In those days the output file would list at
various points in a job how long various tasks took.  Some software now
does this as well automatically, but as far as I know the software that
does this seems to be software that has a strong legacy from the old days
(pre-1990).  If one is running short jobs it may not be a big issue.  But
my jobs often run for several days, so it can really help to be able to
put timers on various segments to see what commands are slowing things
down more than others.  This will be useful for planning work and
estimating length of time for future jobs, and there are other advantages
as well.  I know I could check interactively with the unix command tail
and the name of the output file, and that is what I have generally done in
the past, but it is far better to have the timings recorded in the file
for posterity or, more humbly, my use when I need it.

So I say a wholehearted "Thanks" for information about this command.

Sam