Re: st: Reading Statalist efficiently

Subject   Re: st: Reading Statalist efficiently
Date   Wed, 3 May 2006 09:55:41 -0400

from Eudora, but is free and offers a very easy search mechanism (not
surprising, since it was created by Google).  Either Eudora or gmail's
web client can be configured to route all the messages from Statalist
into a folder or folder-equivalent so they are not mixed in with other
email, so you could just check that "folder" rather than reading a
digest email.  Eudora does not thread messages, as far as I know, and
gmail does (so every conversation is linked together, in theory) but
not everyone is that careful to reply to the right message, anyway, so
the value of threading can be overstated.  The main advantage of gmail
over other email clients is the spam filter, which is really
wonderful.
 Anyway, it's not a huge investment to go to gmail.com and sign up,
then subscribe to Statalist from that new account, and see how you
like it.  Until you give out that email address to others, you can
just read the Statalist messages in the Inbox, and never delete any
(gmail has plenty of storage, on their server, not your hard drive,
unlike Eudora again--note that Eudora typically automatically saves
attachments, which is a good way to get a virus). If you're only
getting Statalist messages, you don't even have to worry about
configuring gmail to route all the messages from Statalist into a
folder-equivalent (by defining a "Statalist" label and then defining a
corresponding filter).