Re: st: SSC Activity, April 2006

Subject   Re: st: SSC Activity, April 2006
Date   Tue, 02 May 2006 08:11:57 -0400

At 12:12 PM 5/1/2006, Kit Baum wrote:
Over 64,000 ado-files were downloaded from the SSC Archive during
April 2006,
representing the efforts of 196 members of the Stata user/programmer
community.
As always, thanks to Kit for providing this info and for maintaining SSC in the first place. A few observations:

* Inertia seems to be a big factor in some of the downloads. outreg was great in its day, but it hasn't been updated in years and many people feel that estout and outreg2 are now better. Also, fitstat continues to be popular, even though the version on SSC is several years old - Long and Freese maintain the most current version on their own web site. People who read this list are probably more up to date on what the latest and greatest programs are.

* I'm always sort of humbled when I read these lists, since I have no idea what most of these programs do! There is an awful lot I don't know about statistics, I'm afraid.

* I wonder what impact adoupdate has on these numbers - a simple bug fix could drive a program back up on the charts as people automatically download the new version.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]