st: Re: Hausman taylor

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Hausman taylor
Date   Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:47:38 -0400

Dear Julia,

HT is based in three-steps: (1) run fixed-effects, get the time variant
coefficients and estimator for error variance, (2) run the "between"-effects
with instruments getting the time invariant coefficients and estimator for
the "between" error. With these generate the GLS transformation and (3) Run
a instrumental regression with the transformed (using the GLS factors)
variables. Looking the formulas of paper it seems to me that you have to
change the procedure to obtain the GLS transformation, such that it includes
a heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation correction (HAC). I think that this
way is unfeasible. An alternative is stop the procedure in (2) and perform a
HAC manually following what -newey- does. Check [R] -robust- and -_robust-
to start your research and then move into -mat accum- and -mat glsaccum-. We
know that the estimator in (2) are consistent (fixed-effects are because
they are LS and "between"-effects are because we used IV) but not efficient
(this is why HT add the last step), then your HAC correction takes care of
the last part.

Rodrigo.