Re: st: RE: stset with multiple spells

Subject   Re: st: RE: stset with multiple spells
Date   Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:29:05 -0400

Mark and Juan Manuel,
  I also rarely work with survival models, but I'm guessing that the
"Multiple-record-per-subject survival data" discussed in the manuals
is a rather large superset of the "Multiple-failure-per-subject
survival data" that Juan Manual wants to analyze.  I liked the
suggestion of treating each "new" failure as a new "patient" and
allowing the "frailty" of these patients to be correlated, since they
are in fact multiple observations of time periods within the same
country (though note that a country is even less the same entity over
time than is a person).  What was _wrong_ with that approach?
  Another method would be to look at the number of episodes in a given
time frame with a count data model (-poisson- or -xtpoisson-). Still
another method might redefine the problem in a larger way...  it
strikes me that you have likely defined "periods of financial
distress" using economic indicators, and then chosen cutoffs for
levels of these indicators using some theory.  Am I right?  Then it
seems to me that these economic indicators should be the Y variables
whose movements you wish to model--which might argue for an -xtreg-
panel model, possibly using -suest- if you have multiple Ys.
  Now speculating wildly,
      Austin