Re: st: Graph help needed - superimposing two series within the same graph

From   "Svend Juul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Graph help needed - superimposing two series within the same graph
Date   Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:15:02 +0200

Ashwin wrote:

I have two outcomes - outcome1 and outcome2. I have
the same three categories for each outcome - low,
middle and high. Each category has an odds ratio and a
95% confidence interval.

I would like to creat a graph with the category (low,
mid, high) on the X-axis and the odds ratio on the
Y-axis - the odds ratio being represented by a small
box/symbol in the center with the 95% CI as a vertical
line (similar to a box and whiskers plot - only
without the 25th and 75th percentile shoulders).

I'm using intercooled Stata 8.0.

First: You should update to Stata 8.2 - it is free.

Does the following do what you want? Note that I modified the x-variable
(cat) to avoid overlapping.

clear
input cat outc or cil ciu
1 1 2.0 1.4 2.8
2 1 1.5 1.0 2.25
3 1 1.6 1.3 2.1
1 2 3.0 2.0 4.5
2 2 2.5 2.0 3.1
3 2 2.0 1.4 2.8
end

replace cat=cat-0.02 if outc==1
replace cat=cat+0.02 if outc==2

twoway                               ///
   (scatter or cat if outc==1)        ///
   (rspike cil ciu cat if outc==1)    ///
   (scatter or cat if outc==2)        ///
   (rspike cil ciu cat if outc==2)