st: Re: clogit

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: clogit
Date   Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:34:08 -0400

Dear Caroline,

The command -clogit- means Conditional Logit... this is not exactly
fixed-effects models as we have in the linear regression [Check the math in
a textbook]. The logit function allows us to "remove" the fixed-effects
component in the cases that you observe different pattern in your dependent
variable (let's say y). This means that all cases where y does not change
over time are useless (as you saw in the error message).

Why? y can be 0 or 1, simplify your life using a linear model with fixed
effects: y(i,t)=b*x(i,t)+a(i)+e(i,t). In the within variation you will see
that y(i,t)-y(i,.) is zero for the individuals with not change in y.
Then -clogit- drops these observations as -xtreg- will drop too.

If your x(i,t) is uncorrelated with a(i) you could use random-effects
model -help xtlogit-, remember to check the quadrature after the estimation
to be sure that the numerical approximation is stable, -help quadchk-

Rodrigo.