Re: Re: st: if you use ESTOUT or OUTREG for exporting stata outout then you should try out XML_TAB as well

From   "Zurab Sajaia" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: if you use ESTOUT or OUTREG for exporting stata outout then you should try out XML_TAB as well
Date   Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:39:50 -0400

Stupid question but have you tried the program with OpenOffice? I use MS
Office myself but remember that OpenOffice supports .xls files and even
their SpreadsheetML format, so OpenOffice should be able to open xml_tab's
output.
Only thing that will need to be changed is winexec command (which allows you
to open the xml file from Stata output window directly by clicking on the
link), by default it calls excel.exe

Christopher W. Ryan wrote:

Any chance that you could also make it work with OpenOffice.org
spreadsheets? The latest version of OpenOffice.org, version 2, is based on
Open Document format, which I think relies heavily on XML (I'm no expert
here.)

--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide
the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and
endless sea." [Antoine de St. Exupery]

	Zurab Sajaia wrote:

	Dear Stata users,

	We are working on a Stata program XML_TAB that saves Stata outputs
directly
	into Microsoft Excel file. The program is relatively flexible and
produces
	print-ready tables in Excel. XML_TAB allows users to apply different
formats
	to elements of the output table, to underline the rows of the table,
and
	essentially do everything Excel can do in terms of formatting from
within
	Stata.

	We would like to offer you XML_TAB as an alpha version to test.
Clearly more
	work is needed to extend the program and to iron out the bugs, but
even in
	that stage we think XML_TAB could be very useful to anybody working
with
	STATA.

	We would be very interested in your reactions/suggestions on that
program.

	Please download the program ado and help files and do file with an
example
	from:
	http://econ.worldbank.org/programs/poverty/toolkit.html#xml_tab

	Michael Lokshin and Zurab Sajaia