st: RE: lnskew0

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: lnskew0
Date   Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:55:55 +0100

On further analysis:

This is repeatable with precisely the same
data. -lnskew0- goes round in a loop and makes
a big number bigger and bigger until it
becomes missing.

In particular,

5.7526180296e+307*2

gets mapped to

.z_

Stata tries its level best to interpret that as
a variable name, but that exchanges one error
for another.

In short: you triggered a bug.

As others have said, you can't get a normal
out of data like this anyway. Four spikes
will get mapped to four different spikes,
but four spikes do not a bell make.

Vivien W. Chen