RE: st: mata function : coding optional argument

From   "Ben Jann" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: mata function : coding optional argument
Date   Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:33:08 +0200

Depending on the context, you could code something like

 transmorphic matrix chak(
  real colvector dim1,
  real colvector dim2,
  | real colvector pop ,
    real scalar b)
 {
	pointer scalar ppop

      if (args()<3 | pop==.) ppop = &J(rows(dim1),1,1)
      else ppop = &pop

      ... code using *ppop instead of pop ...
 }

This allows the user to type

  : chak(dim1, dim2, ., b)

This solution however assumes that pop=. is not a
meaningful input to chak().
ben