st: RE: Re: RE: Re: Generating predicted values for OLS with transformed dependent variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: Re: Generating predicted values for OLS with transformed dependent variables
Date   Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:38:05 +0100

You are correct. The results are not identical.
If they were, there would be hardly any need
for -glm- as the results could be obtained simply
by transforming the response first.

The difference between E(ln response) and ln(E (response))
does matter.

Rodrigo A. Alfaro

> Dear Nick:
>
> I didn't explore glm command before, then I tried the following:
>
> sysuse auto
> g lnp=ln(price)
> glm price, family(normal) link(log) nohead nolog
> reg lnp, nohead
>
> and the coefficient (let's say mu) is different. Is there
> somethig than
> I am missing? a normalization issue?

"Nick Cox" <[email protected]>

> As posted earlier, -glm- offers the back-to-basics
> Jacobin solution as an alternative to this use
> of Jacobians.

Rodrigo A. Alfaro