Re: st: My Stata wishlist

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: My Stata wishlist
Date   Mon, 03 Apr 2006 23:53:32 -0400

At 06:01 AM 4/3/2006, Stefan Gawrich wrote:
[...]
Recently I started to
think it over and wrote my Stata top ten wishlist.
[...]

6)
Nearly same thing as (7)
To my mind all options (like ",force", ",clear", or ",replace") to prevent
data loss are of no real use. Or does anybody use e.g. "save" without
",replace" on a regular basis?
I do; I almost never use -save, replace-. This is virtually a firm policy in my working methods, and there are some very specific reasons for it. Furthermore, I am comforted by the fact that Stata won't let me accidentally replace data (or exit without saving changed data). You suggested, too, that such features might be switchable -- to be turned on for beginners. I like them (or depend on them) just as they are, and I'm far from a beginner.

The point is that your experience with the way you use Stata may be very different from other people's. You seem to be asking for Stata to accommodate your needs, which may conflict with other people's needs.

--David

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/