st: RE: Estimating fixed effects - why is a firm dropped?

Subject   st: RE: Estimating fixed effects - why is a firm dropped?
Date   Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:49:39 +0100

Amy,

You are using regress with explicit fixed effects.  My guess is that
regress is dropping one of the dummies, and the constant corresponds to
this category.  Hence the constant is not the "overall cross-sectional
intercept"; it's the intercept for the omitted category.  Try using
xtreg.  Also, it's not clear if you are using a balanced panel or not.
I think "mean zero by construction" applies strictly speaking to
balanced panels only, and you would need to use weights corresponding to
numbers of panel observations to get the fixed effects to sum to zero
otherwise.  The manual entry on xtreg, if I'm not mistaken, has a
discussion of this.

HTH.

--Mark