st: RE: accessing a variable's value WRT its attached value label

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: accessing a variable's value WRT its attached value label
Date   Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:13:16 +0100

My impression is that you know all the pertinent
Stata commands in this area, so I am reduced
to focusing on "readability" itself.

The question in return has to be: readable by
whom, or more precisely by what class of program
reader? what can be assumed of their Stata
experience and competence?

Examples:

0. You don't say anything about comments.
If inscrutable code is your concern, tuning
a comment to give an explanation at the
right level is the simplest thing.

1. As a Stata user who also writes programs,
I find the use of a local macro and of an extended
macro function unthreatening, but I still have
to work a smidgen too much to realise that

`: val l y'

is a minimal abbreviation of

`: value label y'

Having also worked with highly concise
languages, such as J, in which almost
all primitives are one or two characters
long, I have to say that readability
does often hinge on avoiding minimal
abbreviations.

(That's why, I think, most of us do write -gen-
even though we would save many, many
keystrokes by writing -g-. Roger Newson
always writes -gene-, but then he was once
a real biologist, so that perhaps is why.)

2. The construct

"label":valuelabelname

is prominently documented, but my impression
is that it is fairly rarely used. (Shoot that
down, readers, if you use it all the time.)
So, what can be done here? Well, doing
a -decode- on the fly and testing a string
value might be much more readable
to some readers. Naturally, that is an
extra variable at least briefly, and so forth.

Phil Schumm